CLICK HERE FOR LINK to join the 5/11 Player/Parent Meeting (7:00pm)
If you are interested:
- Complete the online registration by clicking here
- Send any questions to Coach Hannah Hannah.Pfersch@quinnipiac.edu
- Invite your friends to join!
- Come to the first practice on 5/25
Any 5th through 8th grade girl (as of the 2020-2021 school year) in the Hamilton School District.
The Wisconsin Tag Rugby League was created in 2010 to safely introduce rugby to kids from 1st to 8th grade. It is a co-ed non-contact league that is similar to flag football in that it replaces tackling by having kids pull Velcro “flags” off their opponent’s belt. Hamilton RFC Academy players will play against teams from all over Wisconsin like Waukesha, Menomonee Falls, and Oshkosh. More information about the league’s rules can be found here.
Practices will be held on the field behind Templeton.
The four tournaments we attend will take place at different locations: Oshkosh, Milwaukee, Fond du Lac, and Cottage Grove. While participants will be asked to attend as many practices/tournaments as possible, nothing is mandatory. Coaches understand that some players may miss games/practices because of other summer vacations/camps.
Practices will be held on Mondays/Wednesdays from 5:00PM-6:30PM, starting on May 25th. Games will be held from 9am-2pm (depending on how far the team advances at the tournament). Games will take place on 6/18 Oshkosh, 6/25 (Lakefront 7s @ Veterans Parks), 7/09 (Fond du Lac), and 7/16 (Cottage Grove).
Hamilton RFC is looking to provide empowering opportunities for girls to play on a sports team with a positive culture that looks to develop the girls into strong women on the field and in their community. Playing tag rugby will help girls build the skills they need to be successful at the high school level and to earn college scholarships at the end of their high school career. They will also work directly with our high school players, helping incoming freshmen build a network of supportive friends before they officially walk through the halls as a student of Hamilton High School.
The team will be coached by current and former players of the Hamilton Girls’ Rugby team. This gives our young ladies the opportunity to grow as leaders in the community, develop relationships with future teammates, build their resume, and earn some extra money. The general manager of the Tag Rugby Academy is Hannah Pfersch who is a Hamilton alum. Hannah has played for the U-20 US National team and currently plays for Quinnipiac University. She helped start the Tag Rugby Academy in 2019.
Parent/Player Meeting: Wednesday, 5/11/21 6pm, registered players will be e-mailed a Zoom link on 5/10. Families do not have to attend this meeting to join th team. Families who miss this meeting are invited to just attend the first practice and get any questions answered by coaches.
Practices: 5/25, 5/30, 6/1, 6/6, 6/8, 6/13, 6/15, 6/20, 6/22, 6/27, 6/29, 7/4[off], 7/6, 7/11, 7/13, 7/18 5:00-6:30PM
Games: 6/18 (Oshkosh), 6/25 (Lakefront 7s @ Veterans Park), 7/09 (Fond du Lac), and 7/16 (Cottage Grove).
- If the league is co-ed, why is Hamilton RFC only offering this opportunity to girls?
- Will players take a bus to the tournaments?
- Because of the high cost of busing, we will ask that parents take their children to and from the tournaments in order to keep this opportunity affordable for kids from all backgrounds.
- How much will it cost for my daughter to play?
- The team dues are $70. Unlike other teams, we do not charge additional fees to attend tournaments, which means our dues are less than most in the area. All players will be issued a team “jersey.” All checks should be made out to Hamilton RFC, and can be brought to the first practice. Because the school’s rugby team has limited school funding and is mostly self-funded, we do not have the flexibility to offer refunds or discounts to players who miss tournaments/practice once dues are paid. Players will also have to register with USA Rugby (select “rookie” nbon-contact) for an additional $15. Accommodations will be made for any family who cannot pay all or part of the fees. We want no barriers preventing children from playing our sport.
- How are the fees spent?
- Most of the team dues go to paying the high school players who serve as the team’s coaches, providing our high school players with work experience and a chance to earn money for college. The rest goes to paying for equipment (balls and flags), tournament fees, and shirts for every player. In addition, most of the USA Rugby fees are returned to Wisconsin Youth Rugby in order to help grow the sport throughout the state.
- Why didn’t Hamilton RFC start a middle school tackle rugby team?
- The Hamilton RFC coaching staff agrees that, for the safety of players, tackling teams should be coached by experienced adults and not high school players. At this moment, we do not have an experienced adult willing to run a team like this. If you have a son or daughter interested in middle school tackle rugby, contact Coach Mac, and he can get you connected with a local team.
- How is the middle school tag team affiliated with the high school team?
- The middle school program will be supported by coaches and players from the high school level, allowing players to seamlessly transfer to the high school program when they graduate from Templeton.
- How “serious” is this team?
- We are serious about developing players and making sure the kids have fun. While winning is great, it is more important to the program and the players that they get playing time and that they grow as a player within the sport. We hope that parents, other family members, and fans understand that when they come and watch our games. Our players will need all the patience and positivity they can get as they grow into the rugby stars of tomorrow!
Special thanks to our tag rugby academy sponsor:
N81W15014 Appleton Ave, Menomonee Falls, WI 53051